My PunBB-Hosting forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what PunBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2018-05-30 07:39:27

lw789
Animal
Dollars: 990
Bank: 0
guys to start swinging for the fence

BEREA, Ohio - Connor Shaw played for his dad in high school and ran South Carolinas offence under the ultra-demanding Steve Spurrier in college. If that wont toughen a guys skin, nothing will.Raised in a football family, Shaw knew when he was 5 years old that all he ever wanted to do was be an NFL starting quarterback.The undrafted rookie may get his shot on Sunday.With Johnny Manziel done for the season with a hamstring injury and Brian Hoyer still unable to throw because of a sore shoulder and biceps, Shaw will likely make his starting debut when the Browns (7-8) conclude another disappointing season this week against the Baltimore Ravens.For Shaw, its a dream come true, the chance to show he belongs.Im really excited about it, he said. Its been a long season.And a long journey for the former Gamecocks star, who went 27-5 as a starter in the SEC, but then was invited for just one visit to an NFL team before Mays draft. He wasnt selected, but signed in May.During training camp, he was an outsider in the quarterback battle between Hoyer and Manziel. But the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Shaw showed enough during the preseason — he went 8 of 9 for 123 yards and a touchdown against Washington — that the Browns decided to keep him on their practice squad. He was around in case of emergency — and hes needed.Shaw doesnt have much time to get ready for the Ravens, who can still earn a playoff spot with a win and loss or tie by San Diego, or with a tie and a San Diego loss. But Browns coach Mike Pettine believes the 23-year-old Shaw, who threw 23 touchdown passes and just one interception as a senior, will produce even on short notice.You just look at him, and does he pass the eye-ball test? No, Pettine said. He doesnt have the strongest arm, and hes not the fastest. Hes not the biggest, but he just found a way. Hes just got something about him.Thats always been the case for Shaw, who likened his college game to Manziels. Hes mobile, can run for a first down when needed, but dont expect him to flash any money signs if he scores.Im a tough, gritty guy, he said when asked to describe his playing style. I feel like Im smart with the ball. Well see. I havent had a whole lot of reps in the NFL, especially live reps so well see how it plays out if I suit up.Shaw got his first snaps with Clevelands offence Tuesday, and by all accounts showed hes spent the past few months studying. He wasnt out of place in the huddle or behind centre.I was impressed, said tackle Joe Thomas, who was named to eighth straight Pro Bowl team. Thomas said he didnt know Shaws background.I cant really remember taking any reps with him, Thomas said. But he stepped right in and hardly made any mistakes calling the plays.Although he was out of sight for much of the season, Shaw worked hard. He was behind Hoyer and Manziel on the depth chart but alongside on the ride.I was doing everything they were, he said. I was trying to stay as sharp as possible because you never know when youre going in.Its been quite a year for Shaw, who married his high school sweetheart, Molly. They recently welcomed a baby girl, Mila.And now, his career might take a step forward, too.Hopefully we can cap it off with a win, he said.NOTES: Pettine said theres no doubt in my mind that he and owner Jimmy Haslam share the same vision for the team. I get together with Jimmy for a minimum of an hour every week. We are very much on the same page. ... Pettine said he was alarmed and encouraged to hear Manziel admit he didnt take his job seriously enough this season. Its rare that you have a rookie like a Joel Bitonio, who comes in and its seamless. Most rookies typically are shocked by the speed of the game, by the challenge that it brings, going from being a college student and football is a part-time thing where now its to 9 to 5-plus. You might as well carry a briefcase.___AP NFL websites: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL Miguel Monteiro Portugal Jersey .C. -- Marcus Paige and his North Carolina teammates have endured so many wild swings -- big wins, surprising losses, NCAA drama -- that no one can blame their Hall of Fame coach for wondering whats next. Eder Portugal Jersey . -- David Freese is starting to pick up his run production, which is something the Los Angeles Angels have been waiting half a season to see. http://www.soccerportugalnationalshop.u … l-Jersey/. Never caused problems. Never raised a ruckus. Never got sick or hurt while frolicking in the fields of Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky. Eder Jersey . For the Blue Jays the time was Wednesday and the ace was R.A. Dickey. He stepped up. "I feel some responsibility as a stopper from time to time," said Dickey. Rafa Silva Jersey . Patty Mills scored 15 points, Tim Duncan had 10 points and 11 rebounds in limited minutes, and San Antonio trailed for only 11 seconds late in the first quarter of a 103-90 victory over Portland on Wednesday night.SEATTLE -- Dustin Ackley drifted back to find the wall, jumped and wondered. Only when the Seattle Mariners left fielder tumbled to the ground did Ackley know hed robbed Travis dArnaud of a home run. "I knew I felt something. I didnt know if I felt it hit off my glove or go in the web, but when I came down is when I knew I had it," Ackley said. "I was like, Well something is in there." Ackley had three hits to go along with his outstanding catch, Kyle Seager drove in two runs and Mike Zunino homered into the second deck in the Mariners 5-2 win over the New York Mets on Monday night. After losing two of three to the Angels after the All-Star break, Seattle got a solid start from Roenis Elias and improved to 8-2 all-time against the Mets. Elias (8-8) threw 5 1-3 innings before leaving with cramping in his left forearm. Seattles bullpen was stellar the rest of the way, helped by Ackleys grab to steal a home run from dArnaud in the sixth. "How about that catch?" Seattle manager Lloyd McClendon said. "I think it really goes back to the work he put in in spring training ... and he really, really worked hard to improve his outfield play, and he continues to work hard." Seager had RBI singles in his first two at-bats and Zunino hit his 14th homer of the season, an estimated 415-foot shot off starter Jonathon Niese (5-5) into the second deck in left field. Ackley added an RBI double in the eighth. "Ive felt pretty good and the results are there, too," Ackley said. "That helps build the confidence." Elias took advantage of a long break between starts -- he hadnt pitched since July 9. He looked rested and his improved command led to eight strikeouts and two walks. Elias had retired five of six batters when he looked down at his hand after throwing a pitch to Lucas Duda leading off the sixth. Elias was immediately visited by trainers and McClendon. The left-hander threw a couple of warmup pitches and stayed in, striking out Duda on a 2-2 pitch. That was enough for McClendon, who immediately signalled to the bullpen. Elias walked off to a nice ovation, but with a trainer at his side and continuing to try to stretch his hannd.ddddddddddddSeattle announced Elias left with cramping in his left forearm and McClendon said there was no worry as of now about it being a lingering problem. "I didnt want to take a chance," McClendon said. "He was outstanding." Dominic Leone took over and was immediately greeted by a deep drive from dArnaud. Ackley found the left-field fence, got just enough elevation to get his glove over the wall and made the catch in the webbing of his glove. Niese came off the disabled list before the game. He hadnt pitched since leaving in the first inning July 4 against Texas when he was struck in the back by Alex Rios line drive. The left-hander was placed on the DL two days later with a left shoulder strain. Nieses streak of 21 straight starts giving up three earned runs or less was snapped when Willie Bloomquist collected his third hit, an RBI double in the fourth inning for a 4-1 Seattle lead. David Wright had an RBI single on the 10th anniversary of his debut in the majors, but the Mets only other run came on second baseman Robinson Canos error in the ninth that allowed Juan Lagares to score. New York lost its third straight after winning eight of nine. "You look at every game since the All-Star break and weve been outhomered," manager Terry Collins said. "That was what was getting us going, and youre not going to ask guys to start swinging for the fences, but it helps out when we hit the ball out of the ballpark." NOTES: Seattle optioned 1B Justin Smoak to Triple-A Tacoma after the game to clear a roster spot for RHP Erasmo Ramirez to start Tuesday. ... Wrights debut came on July 21, 2004, at Shea Stadium against Montreal. He went 0 for 4 while batting seventh in a 5-4 Mets win. Wright said the memories of being at Triple-A Norfolk the night before, getting notified of his call-up and arriving at the stadium remain vivid. His teammates treated Wright to dinner on Sunday night when they arrived in Seattle. Wright said the dinner became more of a roast. ... Seattle picked up its 22nd win vs. left-handed starters, most in baseball. ... Niese last allowed more than three earned runs Sept. 7, 2013, at Cleveland. Youth NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Wholesale NFL White Jerseys Wholesale Stitched Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys NFL Jerseys From China ' ' '

2018-05-30 07:39:27

AdBot
Advertisements

Adverts

Board footer